Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hail to the New Chief

Today we inaugurate a new president. He has a hurculean task ahead of him and there is an important thing we can do to help him.

Pray?

Well, yes. Except that we're in a "no prayer in schools" phase. So what about good thoughts...positive thinking if you will.

Ever since November, I find myself humming "Happy Days Are Here Again." This song was written in 1929 by Milton Ager and Jack Yellen and I believe it is in the public domain. The chorus goes like this:

"Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
Let us sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again
Altogether shout it now!
There's no one who can doubt it now
So let's tell the world about it now
Happy days are here again
Your cares and troubles are gone;
There'll be no more from now on
Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
Let us sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again"

Ok, it's simplistic.

But so are most mantras.

So, in the ensuing times of struggle (and there will be many), run this little song in your head and we will prevail and you'll feel better.

Thank you, Mr. Obama.

Happy days ARE here again.

3 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Nah, first I'm gonna wait and see what all these freakin politicians are gonna do for me for a change.

Moondancer said...

Yes Nan....but we have to always hope; I hope that happy days will be here again. I'll be humming.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, that’s exactly what I was scanning for! You just spared me alot of searching around