Thursday, June 4, 2009

Late Night Wars

My late father was a big fan of vaudeville.  Although we were almost the last people on earth to get a television because dad thought it was a fad, once we had it, we were unable to pry him away from it.  Why?  Because the early days of television were run by people from vaudeville.  Where else were the networks going to find people with the abilities to stage entertainment programming?  That's why the early TV shows looked like stage shows.  Uncle Miltie and Your Show of Shows, Ed Sullivan and the rest all looked like vaudeville.  My father was overjoyed and he and I watched a lot of television together.  Because of this, I was and am a witness to a bit of television history.  I was in front of the set when Steve Allen hosted the first Tonite Show on NBC.  I saw his first show and his last.  I saw Jack Paar's first shot at the late night show and his last.  I was there for Johnny Carson's debut and his finale, which, by the way, was the most emotional.  Therefore, I couldn't miss Leno's debut or Dave Leterman's either.  At the time I wrote a long memo to the broadcast company I worked for telling them what a mistake NBC made in letting Dave get away from them and how they would regret giving Leno the job.  Obviously, I was wrong.  Leno beat Dave handily most of the 17 years they competed.

I'm not sure why that happened, but I suspect that Dave's irreverence infected the way he delivered his own writers' material leaving the audience to wonder, if Dave thinks this stuff is so bad, why should I watch it?  Dave just might be too hip for the room as they used to say.

Now, the torch has passed again with Conan O'Brien taking over the Tonite Show and going head to head with Letterman.  Despite what you read, this is not a level playing field.  Dave is a good 20 years older than Conan and so is his material.  One pundit I read said "Dave has to "up his game" if he ever hopes to be on top in the late night ratings.

I think Dave is faced with the impossible task of changing his game to compete with a younger more likable Conan who is essentially doing a form of Letterman's shtick in a nicer way.  He could grab a great number of Letterman's younger viewers and essentially decimate the CBS late show.  Conan is certainly likable enough to keep Leno's older viewers which leaves Dave with not much.  To level the field again, CBS,  ABC or Fox might find some likable character who appeals to the average aged late night viewer who could drive a wedge between Conan and Dave and take 75% of the combined audience and put Dave AND Conan out of business.  Will that happen?  I don't think so.  I just think Dave will fade away and NBC will outright own late night.

Now, why should we care?  Personally, I don't care because I can't stay up that late anymore and the humor on both shows is somewhat lackluster to me.  However, the former broadcast business guy in me knows that these shows are vastly profitable because they are very inexpensive to produce compared to anything else on network television.  The profits gleaned from these late night modern vaudeville shows can pay for some  better prime time programming which I think needs to be drastically improved.   

What do you think?  Do you care?  Or do you want to be the biggest loser dancing with the American idol nanny while she has her home improved by the vast cast from the huge number of Law and Order cast members?

10 comments:

john parikhal said...

I think Letterman had a smaller audience because he was mean. Not cruel. Just mean. And, not all the time. Just enough. And, he coupled this with humor that made you laugh in the head, not in the gut. At bedtime, it kept you up, didn't help you sleep. Carson poked you but he soothed you. Leno buddied up to you, never poked. They never made you laugh in the head. So, you could sleep. And, there are more people who want to sleep than those who want to stay awake. So, Letterman loses. I could be wrong about all of this, of course. I'm sure there are lots of theories.

amy said...

My Mother is a Letterman fan, I myself don't stay up that late and if do use the time to catch up on Blogs, e-mail etc. I was a late night person I'd watch leno, cause at that hour i'd rather laugh than be confused. I really don't get him though I've never tried...Carson I watched & enjoyed...Now I'd rather watch a short burst of Bill Maher and turn him off and go to bed if he's ranting...but thanks for memory lane...I only remember what jack Paar looked like, not his jokes...

Unknown said...

They're all borderline irrelevant unless Catherine Deneuve, Ursula Andress, Isabel Huppert and Julie Christie make regular guest appearances.

A doomed format. Way too broad a swath.

Kind of like on the radio you endured Vicki Carr so you could hear the Kinks.

And that's a price none of us have to pay anymore.

Steve Berger said...

And, Paul, let's not forget Arianna Huffington.

Harper said...

Berger...

Loved the blog.

"...I suspect that Dave's irreverence infected the way he delivered his own writers' material leaving the audience to wonder, if Dave thinks this stuff is so bad, why should I watch it? Dave just might be too hip for the room as they used to say."
Perhaps, too, it is Dave's cynicism ... he does a show about doing a show, much like Steve Martin's early career - a stand up comedian "explaining" how to do stand-up. Martin moved on, Letterman did not.

Perhaps this Peggy Noonan quote about Carson explains, in part, Leno's appeal:

"Johnny Carson's gift was that he seemed startled by
sophistication. This was so American. It's why Americans
loved him. When we laughed together in our separate
houses, that was a kind of community. It was a good note
on which to end the day."
-- Peggy Noonan


"To level the field again, CBS, ABC or Fox might find some likable character who appeals to the average aged late night viewer who could drive a wedge between Conan and Dave and take 75% of the combined audience and put Dave AND Conan out of business.Will that happen? I don't think so. I just think Dave will fade away and NBC will outright own late night."
Or - God forbid - another national tragedy like the Iran hostages will launch the 2009-10 version of Nightline.

Moondancer said...

When I could make it to late night, it was always Leno I watched. I would try Letterman every once in awhile, but he is mean. Wish we had something like the Ed Sullivan show today.
Nice post!

Bob Wood said...

I'm so late to this I bet nobody sees it, but FWIW:

I thought the Conan debut was wonderful and laugh-out-loud funny.

While LENO has good writers, I hated the way he would explain his jokes while the audience laughed. (Who's the fool here? I see only two cars in our garage. How many is LENO up to?) He's way too obvious for me.

But yes, Letterman looks and sounds old (we are the same age, sadly.) Conan is hipper and funny - still, beyond the moonologue (after bedtime?) the format of the shows dooms the overall effect to that of the guest quallity. Bad guest, bad interview, boring, no matter what.

I can't stand Paul Shaffer's fake laughs.

But nothing can top Letterman when he came back after 9/11. A Brilliant Piece!

Paar was a raw emotion on an appliance we had never seen exploited that way.

Carson was 'everyman' and you knew he was safe, even when he was 'naughty.' Peggy Noonan's remarks in Harper's comment are right on!

Allen was more experimental and very very funny and so quick. I remember when he was on a wire suspended way-up-high (that's in Kansas, right?) - and he flew toward the camera as a superman... then, having reached it, slowly dangled backwards, away....

Ernie Kovacs was even farther in that direction; he maybe guest hosted, I'm not sure.

Moondancer said...

Revisiting! I have tried watching Conan a few times, I don't like the stupid stuff-which there seems to be a lot of. Still don't care for Letterman, he comes across as mean. Guess when I do manage to stay up that late I will watch the food channels. Of course, then I will get hungry......

Steve Berger said...

Hopefully, MD you'll find the slow food, low calorie channel. Thanks for reading the blog.

Ray Cunneff said...

Steve,
As I'm sure you remember, I was a page at NBC during the transition from Jack Paar to Johnny Carson.

It's hard to remember now, but many people wondered who could replace Paar? Carson was an unknown quantity who had only a game show on ABC called "Who Do You Trust?" in his network resume.

When Johnny went up into the audience to play "Stump The Band", I was the kid in the gaudy uniform who handed him the prizes (usually Skitch Henderson albums and passes to the Cattleman restaurant - a notch or two below Sizzler).

I knew both Jack and Johnny (and years later, Merv). I worked Jack Paar's primetime show the night he introduced a sixteen year-old singer with her leg in a cast who he introduced as "E-Jude Lan-gar". It was typical of Jack's dramatic flair. It was Liza Minelli.

Ray